Tuesday 2 July 2013

Jordan's week 2 blog

Hello everyone my name is Jordan Williams and this is my second year here at keeners. This year has been fantastic so far. I love all the keeners here, the coaches are amazing, and the water is unbelievable.

Last year when I was here the water level was at -4 but when I arrived here this year it was at 15. Although the water has been dropping I was able to achieve a goal on the second day of keeners that I have wanted to achieve my entire kayaking career: surfing one of the massive bus eater waves. My time on mini bus was incredible; as you drop into the wave and hit the massive force of the pile you really learn the true power of the water, but even with the sheer size and power of the wave you are still able to have a clean surf and even throw a few roundhouses and spins. The water's power and grace on the Ottawa River will never cease to amaze me.

Another personal acheivement I made during this keener session was running elevator shaft on Garvins. The tough line really tested my skill and courage as a kayaker. The process of running new lines is always fun and exciting, from scouting new lines until you successfully reach the bottom of the rapid.

Screenshot of running the Left Line on Elevator Shaft. 

When I scout rapids I always look for the easiest line first, just to know its there before moving on to the more fun and challenging lines, so that when I get back into my boat I have a clear plan in my head. When I run new or challenging things I always go first or second so that I have less time in the eddy to seriously revaluate my life choices before dropping into the terrifying horizon. All that fear and contemplation falls away as you enter the rapid and kick into auto drive, hitting every wave and move correctly in the rapid.

The best feeling in the world is when you hit the bottom of a new and intimidating rapid and throw your hands up with a triumphant shout. I love kayaking, all of it from the fear to the triumph. It pushes you to your extent, and sometimes over, but the smile it brings to your face is always worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Jordan, you rock! You are the best daughter ever! Love Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete