Wednesday 3 July 2013

Matt's Second Post


Hey guys, this is Matt Smith. Today was the most beneficial day for my paddling progression possibly since my first roll. It started out with a sick work-out circuit that would made even the most hardened abs burn. After we all recovered we were introduced to our Keener Head Coach Stephen Wright aka Steve-O!. He led us all in a glorious quest for litter from which we returned victorious with a clean Keenerville. 

Stephen leads us in a glorious quest for litter. 
After a vigorous hand washing we were off to run the river. We ran in two separate groups, one ran the middle while my group ran the main channel. We surfed the odyssey wave a little bit and then started the trek to the Lorne Rapid. On the way I got my first flat water loop! 

We eventually arrived at the Lorne. After a quick scout I decided to  drop into the nasty pour-over at the top of the rapid. I was thinking,”what’s the worst that could happen”. I quickly discovered how retentive the feature was as it was impossible to surf out of. I eventually flushed out the back from sheer luck and was told that I was cartwheeling and “mystery moving” the whole time. After lunch we surfed Waikiki, and I got my first airscrew! So overall this was one of my best days on the river and I’m looking forward to more! 

Happy Canada Day,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment