Wednesday 8 August 2018

My First Experience With Boater X By Kyle Cahn

Most of the time when I’m kayaking I’m on the river with less than 5 people. But today I was pushed down the Lorne rapid with 10 other people. This is how it went. We all lined up facing the shore, Clay tried to throw us off by counting farther than 3.  “1  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, go!”  There was a wave of commotion and I was out of there. I was racing down the river, Patrick got caught on a rock and all of the sudden I was in the lead. We had to go and touch Tyler’s boat which was on the Moby Dick rock then ferry across the river and touch the far side. I was coming towards the boof rock I lined up my stroke and executed. I landed and looked to my right to see everyone else getting sucked to the wrong side of Moby Dick rock. I turned around to see Owen right on my tale. I turned on the jets to get to Tyler’s boat. I was dogging people left and right who were trying to get back to Tyler’s boat. I stuck my bow into the current and started to ferry across. I give it everything I have left to not flip in the waves I took one last big stroke that sends me straight to the wall. I slam the wall with my paddle to see Owen pulling up right behind me. I won my first boater X ever. Here are the 3 things I learned from that race.  First avoid the big crowds at all costs. Second keep your head up at all times to avoid other kayakers. And third clean lines are fast lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment