Thursday 9 August 2018

Big Water Beatdowns!!!



     This week was my first time coming to keeners. Like many keeners early on I was aware of beatdown Thursdays, a day dedicated entirely to being scared and getting beatdown.

     This day started much like any other, we started with a morning activity and then meet in the thunder dome. Instead of talking about race courses or surf waves like any normal day, this time we discussed how we would get beatdown. As you can probably imagine I was quite nervous at this point because I knew I would in some way or another going to receive a beatdown later in the day.

     As we made the walk up the bank of McCoy’s I rehearsed In my head what I would do during my run. Originally I had planned on only surfing left side Phil’s, which is the more tame option. This plan seemed great but it wasn’t nearly as sticky as I thought it would be.

     As I walked up the bank again I still wanted to go for a left side surf but when I arrived into the eddy my friend Panda and my coach James convinced me that a right side surf (the stickier side of Phil’s) would be worth my while. It wasn’t long till they convinced me that going into right side was the move for me. This sudden change of mind made me even more nervous but I could not be happier with my decision.

      As I rolled towards Phil’s adrenaline surged through my body and then just like that I was in Phil’s hole getting cooked.  It didn’t take long for me to figure out how to surf out but when I did the feeling of fear turned into the feeling of happiness and relief. I think pushing past your comfort level in a safe environment like keeners is very important because it can boost your confidence not only In kayaking but your ability to manage fear in everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment