Sunday 12 August 2018

Aidan's guide to shoulder-free kayaking



Whilst freestyle and river running kayaking, shoulder strength plays a crucial role in power, dexterity and coordination of paddling strokes and manoeuvres. Since the first day of my second year at Keeners, I have had to work around subluxation in my right shoulder. With the importance of my shoulder removed from my use, I was sure that my days at Keeners were limited. However, after completing the first week, I have found ways to enjoy the steeziest lines possible without risk of developing any further injuries. To avoid injuries, I adapted my roll, changed my lines, and took restorative action to heal and improve my shoulder's flexibility. As mentioned before, I subluxed my shoulder on the first day due to a roll with an overly wide brace. I knuckled through the pain of the first day and seemed to have avoided future damage by keeping my head back and my shoulders close when rolling back up. By not creating additional leverage which dislocates my shoulders, I edited my roll to keep myself from injuring myself and improved the speed and efficiency of my roll overall. Secondly, I changed my lines while running the main channel to avoid any further beatering. Holes are the main perpetrators for the munchiest, most chunkiest beatdowns which should indefinitely be avoided with shoulder damage. Had I been caught in a hole and attempted to roll up, the power of the water could easily wrench my shoulder out of place. For example, when running McCoy's chute, instead of taking a Keener favorite route such as the Triple Crown or the Right Side Phil's punch, I ran the right-side sneak, taking myself out of reach from Phil's and Satler's holes. The sneak offered a fast pace ride and an entertaining boof that is much easier than it appears.  This ride is perhaps the fastest line in the renowned Keener Race down McCoy's, with a stunning time of 43 seconds total from Max Ryan. There are many different lines down each rapid, even if it is a walk down the side. Lastly, I used sports tape and other methods of physiotherapy-like methods to support my already weakened shoulder. Sports tape was used to keep my shoulder stabilized and secure on and off water. I also learned that the tape can be used to create some wicked tan lines as well! Advil and ice in the evenings are temporary cures to reduce pain levels and inflammation before sleep or nighttime activities. It seems silly of me to think that I once thought an injured shoulder would end my kayaking days this summer since it clearly has not bothered me since and continues to strengthen and improve. To any kayakers worried about kayak inhibiting injuries, keep in mind that there are always around every problem, even if it means taking it "easy" for a couple days. I continue to challenge myself and have the time of my life here in Beachburg, despite any burn, cut or dislocation. Aidan out🤙


1 comment:

  1. The solution to any problem is a function of creativity. Well done!

    ReplyDelete