Thursday 16 August 2018

Van Life vs. Keener Life | Abby Holcombe

Unlike most of my fellow keeners I don’t live in the standard brick and mortar house. I actually live in a 175 square foot Winnebago motorhome with my parents and our enormous yellow lab. When most people go to summer camp they probably don't expect their cabin to be more spacious than their home but in my case, Yakistan (the girls cabin) feels especially roomy with Yakistan’s 3 bedrooms, a spacious common area, bathroom, and kitchen. For anyone who has lived in or visited Yakistan, the living room area alone is equivalent to my whole ‘house’. Yakistan is just one of the many creatively names cabins such as White House, Buseater, Istambul, Thunderdome, Roberstons, and the Foosball Room which all have varying purposes. My RV lifestyle might seem weird to most people but I have gotten used to van life in the last 4 years. However, there are still many differences in-between RV life and Yakistan living. The biggest difference in-between the Winnebago and Keenerville is that we don't have a shower in my rv so the daily cleansing is appreciated not only by me but by my friends and fellow keeners. Another major difference in between van life and keener life is that my RV does not have an oven. This is an unfortunate thing because who doesn't like cookies and not being able to cook them leaves the RV gloomy. However, last year at keeners I accidentally scorched Yakistan due to not checking the oven (where we were storing food) before I preheated the Yakistan oven. My parents are really grateful that the RV doesn’t leave me the opportunity to go up in flames. I am also an only child so living with 6 other girls and a roommate isn’t something I am accustomed to but I really appreciate the time with girls my age and love sharing clothes and the constant dance parties. Most people might think that I do more kayaking when I am at keeners than when I am in the RV but I try to kayak almost everyday so I don't have a huge adjustment when it comes to the time I spend on the water. Keener life is very similar to RV life but if I had to choose in between the two I’m not sure if I could pick one over the other but I love and appreciate all the educational opportunities for my kayaking and getting to spend time with old and new friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment