Tuesday 15 July 2014

The Saddest Day of Keeners

Hello Readers,

This is Isaiah Galbraith. I am a 3rd year, 4th session keener. I know the in's and out's of keeners and feel like it's my second home. Although all of this is great, this year has been better! This is my first year I get to stay for TWO sessions! Yes, that's right! I said TWO sessions!! A full 6 weeks of paddling on the worlds best river, being instructed by the worlds best instructors, with kids my own age that are just as excited about the sport I have come to be very passionate about. Although all of this is fantastic and all! 
But, that's not what I came here to talk about on this wonderful night. 

I am actually here to talk about the days where things are not so happy. This beautiful Keenerville is not full of ecstatic paddling teenagers that just want to push each other on the water. NO! I am here to talk about that one day where Keenerville feels empty. The terrible day where the happy kids that are gathered together to do the one thing they all have in common; paddle.

This if of course the dreaded Saturday of the 3rd week of every session. This year, I actually had the dreadful opportunity to experience what happens after they leave. The aftermath of the excitement, and the joy. I can honestly say, it was more then depressing! I felt terrible seeing the people I have grown very close to simply leaving. Not seeing them smile and laugh, and not seeing them in their boats in pure joy. 
Session One Keeners on the Upper Pet. I Miss These Guys Already! 

Even while writing this I get tears in my eyes. I know they are once again happy, with their family's back at home. But I hope somewhere, deep down in their hearts, a part of them is still here. Paddling the worlds best river, with the worlds best instructors, with that one of a kind family they have grown to love and embrace. I can only hope that this second session can be half as amazing as the last one. 


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment