Wednesday 30 July 2014

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard- Julie Zebrowska

Hey readers! For the last time this year, it's Julie posting about the amazing experience that is the Keener program.

To begin, I've had a few accomplishments that I'm proud of since my last blog. Last week, I ran Elevator Shaft, got my whitewater hand roll, surfed left side Phils, and did a loop for the first time. In addition, today we had our road trip to the Upper Petawawa. Paddling this beautiful river was an amazing opportunity, as it was new and refreshing, and taught me plenty of river running skills.
Running one of the biggest rapids on the Upper Petawawa

The highlight of the day was watching three Keeners get worked in a hole at the bottom of a rapid, which resulted in two swimmers, and lots of entertainment for those who got the privilege of spectating. If things weren't going well enough, I won Speech of the Night for the third time out of the six speech nights I've attended since starting in this program. But the glory of having the best speech isn't nearly as important as what I feel I've gained from speech night. As much as I hate public speaking, I can notice how much my confidence and comfort level have improved in regards to talking to my peers. I've grown to realize that everyone is in the same boat, (no pun intended) so nobody will judge me if I fumble. This has really help me overcome my fear of public speaking, and I'm much more comfortable discussing improvised ideas.

As we all know, this is unfortunately my final blog of the year Since I've never been skilled at writing conclusions or aging goodbyes, I just want all my coaches and fellow Keeners to know how grateful I am of their support, motivation, kindness, patience, and friendship. I have never felt to welcomed or at home as as I feel here. I've learned so much, and have so many memorable moments to take away from this experience. This isn't a "goodbye", since goodbye means forever. Instead, this is a "'till next time",  until I get to come back next year for another awesome session of bonding, boating, and beat downs.
-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment