Thursday 10 July 2014

Carnage on Beatdown Day

Big Water Beat Down Bacon Thursday, as mentioned in past articles, is a way to test yourself and become comfortable in very uncomfortable situations such as getting worked in a hole or pour over. This definitely came into play when we ran the Upper Pettawawa river on Wednesday. Three of the people from our group decided to follow each other down a rapid that we had somewhat scouted ahead of us. Our leader Joel had run the rapid ahead of us and he said it was good to go. Three of us followed each other into this big hole which was hidden from above and all three of us got a decent beat down. Luckily we were all very comfortable in this situation and we knew we could just try and wait it out. Luckily all of us got flushed fairly quickly and were able to roll up afterwards without much harm.

This beat down day was definitely a sight to be had,  with the water level lower than last time we had beat down day, Phil's hole, especially right side Phil's has become a lot more retentive. Today we had a ton of people getting absolutely destroyed in right side Phil's with a number of people also getting beat down in Satler's. Juanito started the day of with an amazing beat down in Satler's throwing a awesome loop and getting tumbled eventually breaking a paddle. We knew it was bound to be an awesome day. With points up for grabs for best beat down, and it being the last week, people went as hard as they could leading to their being around 7 swimmers, a number of people ending up hand surfing, and a lot of people getting tumbled. I had an amazing beat down where I started of in a surprisingly controlled surf, then getting tumbled, eventually loosing my paddle and hand surfing for a bit. I ended up surfing upright sitting on the back of my kayak, my skirt at my thighs before trying to pull my skirt, getting flipped upright and then dry exiting. Although I wasn't having much fun during the beat down, thinking about it now I find it quite a fun experience and a fun way to bond with my piers. And I ended up getting my team 300 points :).

No comments:

Post a Comment