Monday 21 July 2014

The Perfect Meltdown By Jack Carroll

           Hey readers, my name is Jack Carroll, I am 16 years old, and this is my third year in the amazing keener program. I live in Canada, more specifically approximately one hour north of Toronto in a little town called Tottenham. One of my favourite lines on low water Coliseum is the infamous meltdown. A meltdown is when you are pushed underneath the water by in your kayak by two downward streams of water. This line is a great way to run Coliseum when you have exhausted all of the other lines. This line is scary at first but once you have mastered the technique the meltdown can be a lot of fun run and watch.

           This Line is best run between 2 to 0 on the gauge. The meltdown ledge is located on the right side of Coliseum right near the shore and is easily seen from the left shore. The perfect meltdown zone is on the upstream side of the ledge. This is formed by water falling of the ledge on the river right side and water folding in from river right. These two streams of water create the perfect place to disappear under the water.
           To perfectly execute this line begin by paddling up around a small wave located at the top on river right. This is the best way to line your self up for this line. If you paddle at the seam straight on your bow begins to meltdown before your stern. As you float around the corner line your self up as if you are going to boof the ledge. Instead of following through with the boof at the last second give up. this will set you up in the perfect position to meltdown. When you float over the edge lean to the right into the curtain of water. Suddenly you will feel the river grab your boat and suck you under the water. It will be swirly under the water and if done correctly you will pop out of the water a few feet down stream. You are then in a position to run the rest of coliseum on the river right side.

           Today I had one of my best meltdowns ever the level was around 2 so the meltdown was in its more burly conditions. When I dropped over the edge the air around me all of a sudden became dark water and my paddle was wrenched from my hand. A second later I found my self on the surface, luckily I was right ways up, so there was no issue with hand-rolling. I then navigated the rest of the rapid safety with a smile on my face, It was Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment