Wednesday, 5 August 2026
Making Cake by Otto Koerber
I read the words on the back of the cake mix. I see that I need 3 eggs, ½ cup of vegetable, and ½ cup of milk. I take the 3 eggs and milk as part of my rations, and grab the vegetable oil I got from Walmart. The funny thing is I never even knew the cake recipe needed vegetable oil at Walmart. It was pure luck that I just so happened to grab it durning the 20 minutes we had in the store. After mixing all the wet ingredients, I remembered that oil does not mix with water as it kept separating when I looked away from the mixture. I decided to move on from mixing the impossible, and added the dry cake mix to the pot. After vigorously beating for 3 minutes, the cake mix seemed ready to put in the oven. I then decided to preheat the oven to 350 and grease a pan while I wait. I soon realized that there was no pan, or cake pan for that matter. There was however, a baking sheet that would normally be used to make cookies, so I decided to improvise. The problem with making cookies from cake mix is that cake takes a lot longer to cook then cookies, and also it’s not cookie batter. I decided to play it safe and made 6 cake-cookies using the baking sheet. I checked on them every 2 minutes in the oven using a fork as I didn’t have a toothpick. When I pulled the sheet out, and taste tested, they surprisingly turned out great. The chocolate flavor was faint, but I think that was more of a cake mix problem, then a baking problem. I decided to cook 12 more and share the results with some people in my cabin. I also added a handful of chocolate chips to the mix, which I definitely could’ve added more as they were hardly noticeable. The second batch was also less crispy then the first, which was sad to say the least. To make up for the lack of texture, I but two cookies together with nutella in the middle, which tasted much better, but used a lot of it up for only adding a little bit to the flavor. In the future I plan to use MnMs with the mix to add more flavor. I also plan to make frosting somehow, but we’ll see if it’s possible first. Once I was done, I cleaned up everything, but left some unused batter in the fridge for future experiments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment