Sunday 16 July 2023

Ottawa River Shocks Coming From Colorado: By Saige Shulda

 Many keeners at this camp come from Colorado, including me. The Ottawa river is very different from any river near me, and in this blog I will explain why. 


  1. The water is WARM. I am used to kayaking in my dry suit with base layers (for skiing) underneath and still being cold. Here, I can kayak in a t-shirt and shorts and be warm. The river here is warmer than lakes near my house. 


  1. The water is deep. Many rivers near my house are much shallower than the section of river we are kayaking here. I have scratch marks on my helmet from hitting many rocks on the bottom of rivers, especially in play waves. 


  1. You have to paddle between rapids. Never in my life have I actually had to paddle between rapids like I have to on the Ottawa. It almost feels like lakes of still water in between the rapids.  


These are all of the points that I can think of at this moment, although I will probably think of more later. So far I love the Ottawa river, and I hope I can come back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment