Wednesday 20 July 2022

My first week on the Ottawa - Nayra Garcia

This week has been a bundle of new experiences for me. As I drove into Canada for the first time, I immediately noticed the scenery. The forests and rock formations are beautiful and everywhere. All of the nature seems pristine and clean, even on the highways, which is unlike the U.S. 

The Ottawa River is similar in that the water is clear with no trash. It is easy to tell that the kayakers and rafters value the wilderness and the water that they paddle. 

Getting to experience the Ottawa River in a kayak is also a privilege that I will always remember. The River and its scenery is stunning, and the rapids are so fun to experiment in. I have to admit that the first day on the water I was extremely nervous because I had no idea what to expect. Quickly I realized the forgiveness this River has. Unlike my home rivers and creeks, flipping and getting beat down has little consequence and is actually kind of fun. One of my biggest fears in whitewater is that I will hit my head on a rock, but here, there are no rocks. I really hope that as I continue to paddle the Ottawa, it will allow me to open up and overcome some of my innate fears of whitewater.

No comments:

Post a Comment