Monday 18 July 2022

Big Water Beatdown Thursday - Sawyer Battles

Today was the first Thursday of session 2 in the keener program. Thursdays are special days for the keeners because it is Big Water Beatdown Bacon Thursday. On this day each Keener will face their fears of the notorious Phil's hole. There are many reasons why getting a beat down in Phil’s hole will benefit you as a keener, such as making you more comfortable in big water, teaching you how to comfortably surf big nasty features, and also putting on a good show for the spectators on the side.

My experience today was very exciting and fun. I tried four beat down attempts in Phil’s hole. My first attempt was into the left side of Phil’s, which is the less retentive side and I had a short surf but was then pushed out by the tongue. My second attempt was into the right side, which is the more retentive side, and I still got flushed right out by the tongue on the right. I tried two more attempts into the right side of Phil’s before I got a proper beat down and got spun and window shaded before I was flushed.

Overall today was an absolute blast and great learning experience. I’m stoked to get back into Phil's next Thursday and hopefully get a better beatdown.


No comments:

Post a Comment