Tuesday 20 August 2013

Addy's Very Last, Concluding, Final, End of the Session Keener Post!

Hi everyone! It's Addy and sadly this is my very last keener post. In my three weeks here I have had an amazing time and definitely pushed my limits. I came here with a sketchy roll and bad tecnique but after tons of help from the coaches, I have become a lot more confident on the river! Today I tried two new lines, the boof at the Lorne and the boof at Coliseum, it was tons of fun! I have been working really hard the past few days to surf corner wave on McCoys and today I had my best surf yet. It is so rewarding to finally surf the wave after many times down left side horseshoe upside down, sideways and backwards. One of my favourite memories from my time here was running McCoys top to bottom friday evening right at sunset. The water running into Sadlers was like glass and it was the first time I've seen the rapid with no other boats or rafts in sight. Many of the experiences that I have here are unique to the Ottawa River and the keener program. There aren't many places that you can try challenging lines without serious consequences. As a result of that we are able to have an entire day dedicated to getting beatdown in the rapids, Big Water Beatdown Bacon Thursday. This is definitely one of my favourite days of the week because we are encouraged to try new and scary lines. I'm partly convinced this is because the coaches enjoy the carnage but it's a great day non the less. Everyone helps eachother out in rescues and are super encouraging. It really helps build experince which allows a kayaker to think clearly while in a difficult situation. I'm looking forward to the rest of this week and our trip to La Chine rapids tomorrow! All in all I have had an unforgettable time here at keeners thanks to the coaches, keeners and everyone else that has helped me become a stronger paddler.
Surfing Corner Wave Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment