Monday 30 June 2014

Whirlpools and (Intentional) Swims


Hey guys!

I’m Jordan, back on the Ottawa River for my fifth summer. So good to see all of the familiar faces and features up here (Corner wave just came in ahhh, and Stevo arrived soon afterwards). This time around is a little bit different for me. I’ve been lucky enough to get to help out with Keeners this year, both on and off the water. I’ll be staying the whole summer, getting raft guide training and hopefully doing some kayak school as well, when not firing up the river with Keeners! Can’t wait.

For this first blog, I want to talk about two moments from last week. One from the infamous Big Water Bacon Beatdown Thursday. And the other from late Friday afternoon.

Thursday. I am peeling into the top right Butcher’s Knife eddy. Calmly drifting towards my fellow boaters hugged against the rock wall. Then I suddenly lurch backwards, glimpse the sun, and crash onto my head. I am sucked violently downwards where the water remains cold and black. The water claws at me, my ears ring. I am held for what feels like ages, knowing that if I swim, it will only be worse. Finally, I pop up far downstream, fully exhausted by the whirlpools.

Now I am drifting on my back next to Tom, listening to a waterproof speaker in the middle of this massive river. The music plays from his pocket underwater, traveling to my submerged ears. I just finished running, and the cool, slow moving river has never felt so soothing. 

Each year, I think I come to appreciate the Ottawa for all that it offers more and more. Despite not believing it was possible, I’ve already gotten a new personal best Beatdown. Then the very next day, I enjoyed maybe the chillest swim ever.

Cheers 

No comments:

Post a Comment