Tuesday 15 August 2023

Risk vs Reward: By Ian Cieslak

Risk vs reward is a way to decide whether to do something based on the risk and how rewarding that thing is. For example, in kayaking we have easier rapids that have a lower reward. With this, we also have harder and typically scarier rapids that have a higher reward. By reward I mean how much stoke you will have by doing whatever it could be.

So how do we decide? I feel with low reward easy rapids there are just simple and nothing to be worried about but you should still be humble when you’re done and you don’t have the most stoke ever. With a higher reward harder rapid you have to make a real decision. For this you should scout and find the dangers of the rapids and where not to be. Decide if you are confident to miss the hazards that could be deadly. Then this, if I run this successfully will I have stoke? Will I be proud? Will I improve? These are all difficult yet good questions you should have answered but in reality the decision is up to you and only people can encourage you to not or to do something. You make the final decision by walking away or doing whatever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment